What do Employees of Biotechnology Companies Do?
Biotechnologists Make Many Contributions...
- To Medicine
- Create new vaccines, drugs and diagnostic tests
- Find gene therapies
- Engineer new tissues
- To Agriculture
- Make Better Crops
- Breed Better Animals
- To Industry
- Process Food
- Brew beer & wine
- To Law Enforcement
- DNA analysis
- Analyze evidence
- To The Environment
- Use microbes to clean oil spills and toxic wastes
- Produce fuel from plants
What will I be able to do if I take these classes?
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Assist research scientists in the laboratory.
- Perform technical procedures such as cell counting, solution and media preparation, DNA extraction and characterization, electrophoresis, cloning, polymerase chain reaction, ELISA and other immunology techniques, maintenance of cell lines, transfection, fermentation, protein isolation and purification.
- Follow safety protocols
- Apply knowledge of theory and techniques to troubleshoot experiments.
- Analyze and display data using computer technology.