New students must complete the Online Orientation and bring the certificate of completion on the day of your test. The orientation is designed to familiarize new students with both resources available on campus, and terminology you can expect to hear to while enrolled at Miramar.
The Assessment is used to determine your placement level.
The Assessment Office will be closed December 21st - January 1st. The office will be closed at 4:30pm December 18th-20th. Please plan accordingly.
The Assessment Office will be closed January 1st & 21st. The office will be closed at 5:00pm January 2nd & 3rd. Please plan accordingly.
The Assessment Office will be offering testing on Saturday, January 12th at 8:30am. Please contact the office to schedule an appointment, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The monthly schedule can be found to the right underneath "Important Documents". English and math are offered on a walk-in basis. ELAC (formerly ESOL) is offered by appointment.
The Assessment is an important part of determining your math, English, or ELAC class.
Important Information For Students:
The assessment tests should be taken very seriously. It is strongly encouraged that students take the time to prepare for the assessment tests as it can have a significant impact on score placement when a student is best prepared and takes the assessments seriously. Doing poorly on the assessment test(s) can add additional classes and cost to your college plan. Please keep in mind, if your goal is to place into college level math, you will want to study for the Elementary Algebra assessment. The English assessment has two sections: Sentence Skills and Reading / Comprehension. Please review the sample test questions and study resources available under "Important Documents."
- Accuplacer study app - A free study app available in an app store
- Khan Academy is free study resource available to students.
Students with qualifying scores from alternative tests, prior completing of college English or math, or assessment results from another California community college may be exempt from taking the assessment test.
Minimum required Score
|SBAC/CAASPP EAP Status*||4 - Standard Exceeded: Ready for college level English coursework.||4 - Standard Exceeded: Reader for college level math coursework.|
Students should submit official college transcripts and official copies of alternative test measures to the district office at:
San Diego Community College District
Attn. Student Services
3375 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108-3883
Taking the Assessment Test
- A Government Issued picture ID or Student ID, and your San Diego Community College Student Identification Number (CSID) are required at the time of your assessment. Pictures of ID's or copies are not acceptable forms of Identification.
- Tests are not timed. You should allow at least two hours for assessment testing. Materials are not allowed while testing, i.e., calculators, cell phones, dictionaries, electronic devices, etc. Scratch paper will be provided by your test proctor. Please be sure to get plenty of rest prior to your assessment test(s), and be sure to eat a healthy meal before testing.
- Upon completion of your test(s) you will be given a copy of your placement scores. Your scores will be posted within one business day to your student records. You may also view your placement levels through your Reg-e
- Counseling will interpret your results, and utilize your assessment results to help you develop a semester plan.
ELAC- English Language Acquisition (Formerly ESOL)
- ELAC assessment is offered by appointment.
- ELAC is a timed 45-minute assessment.
- Test samples may be found under "Important Documents."
- Beginning level students are not required to take the ELAC test.
- It is recommended to schedule your test appointment at least a week in advance.
- You may schedule your appointment in person or by phone at the Assessment Office (619) 388-7379 or K2-108.
- Testing accommodations are available to students with disabilities. For assistance, please contact the Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) at (619) 388-7312.