Please note, effective, March 23, 2020 all Services & Classes will be remote. Should you need assistance or have any questions, please e-mail our office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a brief description of your question, full name and student ID number. Additionally, we are not offering ELAC Assessment testing until further notice. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
New students must complete the Online Orientation and provide the certificate of completion prior to receiving an educational plan. The orientation is designed to familiarize new students with important resources available to them at Miramar College. Please note, the orientation will only allow you to input 9 digits of your student ID. Please leave off the FIRST digit of your student ID, and provide the last nine digits.
SDCCD no longer administers a test for English & math placement. Instead, students will complete the online Placement Assistant. Please note that there will still be an ELAC test for non-native English speakers.
To complete the Placement Assistant, students will need to know their College Student ID Number. After completing the placement, talk with a counselor to discuss the options available based of the placement you received. The Placement Assistant can be accessed below. Students who have received milestones/ placement levels after applying to the college do NOT need to take the Placement Assistant. Students who have completed math and English courses also do NOT need to take the Placement Assistant.
After completing the Placement, students will receive an email in 1-2 business days that contains their milestones/placement levels.
Please note that the Placement Assistant does not let students resume, or back to change an answer. Plan to complete the Placement Assistant in one sitting. The Placement Assistant will provide an opportunity to review and change answers before the final submission.
The Assessment is an important part of determining your math, English, or ELAC class.
Important Information For Students:
The Placement Assistant offers students a new way to be placed into English and mathematics courses based on self reported data. The Placement Assistant is designed to be inclusive for all students no matter the educational history or time from from the last completed course. This means that it will be open to those who have not received a diploma and have GED scores, HiSET scores, CHSPE scores or even completed schooling in a foreign country!
The results from the Placement Assistant may or may not apply to outside colleges based on their independent determination.
ELAC- English Language Acquisition
If the students has completed the Placement Assistant and is given English courses, they may still opt to take the ELAC exam.
- ELAC assessment is offered on a walk-in basis
- ELAC is a timed 45-minute assessment.
- Test samples may be found under "Important Documents."
- Beginning level students are not required to take the ELAC test. Students may choose to enroll in beginning ELAC classes without taking the assessment.
- Testing accommodations are available to students with disabilities. For assistance, please contact the Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) at (619) 388-7312.
The assessment test for ELAC should be taken very seriously. It is strongly encouraged that students take the time to prepare for the ELAC assessment test as it can have a significant impact on score placement when a student is prepared . Doing poorly on the assessment test can add additional classes and cost to your college plan.
- Khan Academy is free study resource available to students.
Students with qualifying scores from alternative tests, prior completion of college English or math, or assessment results from another California community college may be exempt from taking the Placement Assistant.
Minimum required Score
|SBAC/CAASPP EAP||4 - Standard Exceeded: Ready for college level English coursework.||4 - Standard Exceeded: Reader for college level math coursework.|
Students should submit official college transcripts and official copies of alternative test measures to the district office at:
San Diego Community College District
Attn. Student Services
3375 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108-3883
Taking the Assessment Test
- A Government Issued picture ID or Student ID, and your San Diego Community College Student Identification Number (CSID) are required at the time of your assessment. Pictures of ID's or copies are not acceptable forms of Identification.
- New students must provide proof of completing the Online Orientation.
- Scratch paper will be provided by your test proctor, but other materials are not allowed while testing ,i.e., cell phones, dictionaries, electronic devices, etc.
- Upon completion of the Placement Assistant/ELAC test you will be given a copy of your placement levels. Your Placement levels will be posted within 2-3 business days to your student records. You may also view your placement levels through your Reg-e.
- Counseling will interpret your results, and utilize them to help you develop a semester plan.
Please be sure to get plenty of rest prior to your assessment test(s), and be sure to eat a healthy meal before testing.