About the Program
The Honors Program at Miramar College offers highly motivated students an enriched learning experience. We offer both Honors core classes and individual Honors contracts for students in non-honors sections.
Miramar College students are NOT required to fill out the online Honors registry found on the district website. For Miramar Honors Program enrollment assistance, please contact the Honors Coordinators.
If you are interested in Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society, please contact the adviser, Professor Jay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do I Become an Honors Student?
Register for Honors designated courses the same way as you would register for any other course. OR Register for any non-Honors section and convert it to Honors using the Honors Contract Form. Form is located under Important Documents.
Students with previous college-level work and a 3.25 GPA can also register for their honors courses through the regular registration procedures. Not quite qualified? Contact the Honors Coordinator, Professor Carmen Jay or Professor Kirk Webley about conditional acceptance into the program.
How Does Joining the Honors Program Benefit Me?
The Benefits of Honors:
- Guaranteed priority admission consideration to a number of prestigious universities, including UCLA, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, and others
- Honors to Honors Transfer to SDSU
- Honors designation on your transcript
- Student Centered Learning Environment
- Designated Honors Counselor
- Leadership development opportunities
- Consideration for scholarships
- Use of resources from beyond the campus itself, such as university libraries
- Many courses taught from a global perspective
- Invitation Only Conferences and Receptions
- Earn the Honors Global Competencies Certificate (see below for details)
- Study a subject in your major or another subject you love in greater depth
- Get career experience through internships or volunteer work
- Build a support network in a field you want to enter
How Do I Complete the Honors Program?
Although there is no number of honors units that are required to be a member of the Honors Program, some transfer agreements have additional requirements. Honors students who do complete the following will receive an Honors Program Completion Certificate.
1. Complete 15 units in Honors coursework within the San Diego Community College District (Minimum 6-units completed at Miramar College)
2. Have a minimum GPA of 3.25 overall
3. Meet any two of the following:
- Complete the Honors Global Competencies Certificate of Performance
- Join Beta Iota Lambda, the Miramar College chapter of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
- Present research at a research symposium or conference
- Be accepted for transfer and/or complete requirements for the Associate's Degree
About The Program
The Honors General Education Core at Miramar College offers both honors courses and honors contracts, written agreements between the student and the instructor in a regular (non-honors) section. Both honors courses and honors contracts receive the same "honors" designation on the student transcript.
- Fall 2019 Honors Designated Classes:
- English 101
- English 249
- History 109
- Psychology 101
- Spanish 101
- Spring 2020 Proposed Honors Designated Classes:
- English 205
- History 110
- Spanish 201
For the first-time college student, ONE of the following is recommended:
- You are eligible to enroll in English 101 or 105.
- A successful interview with the honors coordinator and a determination to succeed.
For students with previous college-level work, we recommend an overall GPA of 3.25 with at least 12 units completed.
See "Important Documents" sidebar for scholarship application and directions.