Counseling FAQ

What does SDCCD stand for?

SDCCD stands for the San Diego Community College District. The San Diego Community College District has three main campuses: Miramar, Mesa, and City College.

Students are able to take courses at all three campuses.


What kinds of degrees can I get at San Diego Miramar College?

San Diego Miramar College grants two kinds of degrees and several certificates: the Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS) degrees and Certificates of Achievement/Performance in various vocational/technical majors.

The two degrees require completion of major courses plus general education and district requirement courses.

The Certificate/Performance requires completion of the major only, no general education needed.


How can I transfer from San Diego Miramar College to a 4-year college?

San Diego Miramar College transfer courses are the equivalent to the CSU's and UC's freshman and sophomore classes, as well as those of many private and out-of-state colleges and universities. If you follow the recommended transfer program, SDCCD can certify your completion of lower division general education requirements. Please meet with counselors at the Counseling Office or the Transfer Center to get the most recent information on transferring.


Are there certain classes in which I cannot enroll?

There are required prerequisites for some classes. A prerequisite is a previous background or course completion that is required before entry into another class. You must have completed this requirement at a SDCCD campus or submit proof of meeting the prerequisite elsewhere, in order to register for the class.

There are also special admit programs within the San Diego Community College District which require a special admission process. See campus specific requirements in college catalog.


When are classes offered?

SDCCD offers 16 week semesters in the Fall and Spring. SDCCD offers condensed courses in the Summer semester (contingent upon budget).  During the month of January SDCCD offers a 4 week Intersession. In addition, some courses are offered for short-term sessions during the Fall and Spring semesters.


How can I access the online schedule?

The online schedule can be accessed without having to enroll, here.

You will be able to see all courses that are available at Miramar, Mesa, and City Colleges at the above website.


What does it mean to be "Waitlisted" for a course?

If a class is full, you will have to place yourself on a waitlist. If the waitlist does not open up by the time the course begins, you must attend the first class meeting and let the instructor know you are on the waitlist. The same waitlist policy applies to online courses.

Being on a waitlist does not guarantee a seat in any course. It will be up to the instructor to assign a permission code if available.


What is the policy for taking classes Pass/No Pass, previously known as Credit/No-Credit?

Students who wish to be graded on a Pass/No Pass basis must submit a petition to the Admissions Office or change their grading option through Reg-e by the deafaqsine date listed in the appropriate schedule of classes.

An evaluation on a Pass/No Pass basis may not later be changed to a letter grade nor may the reverse occur.

Some courses must be taken for a letter grade only.

A grade of "P" shall be awarded only for work which otherwise would have received a grade of "C" or better. Work that would have reflected a "D" or "F" will be graded No Pass "NP". Units will be earned, but disregarded in determining GPA.

No course in a student's major may be taken Pass/No Pass.

No more than 12 units of a student's total coursework completed at SDCCD may be graded on a Pass/No Pass basis.

For Transfer Students: Taking courses Pass/No Pass should be discussed with a counselor prior to changing status. Pass/No Pass acceptance policies vary by transfer institution.