University of California
How to transfer to the University of California
- Start by completing the required two transferable college courses in English composition (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) and one transferable college course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units). The UC places a high priority on students who complete transferable Math and English courses early in their academic careers. Take the English and Math Assessment tests and get started immediately.
- The UC gives high priority to students who complete major coursework early in their academic career. Meet with a counselor or take a career-planning course to help you focus on a particular major.
- Complete 60 UC-transferable semester units with a minimum 2.4 GPA (2.8 for non-residents) for minimum eligibility. The GPA for admission can be significantly higher due to the applicant pool. No more than 14 semester units may be taken credit/no credit. In addition to Math and English and major coursework, you are required to complete four transferable college courses chosen from at least two of the following subject areas:
- Arts and Humanities
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Physical and Biological Sciences
- Complete your general education (GE) requirements, by completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the major appropriate GE options for those programs that do not accept IGETC.
Please note: These are the minimum admission requirements. Each UC campus may have additional competitive criteria for admissions. For additional information, please access www.assist.org for prerequisite to major requirements and the Transfer Requirements page for campus specific information.
California State University
How to transfer to the California State University
- Start completing “The Golden Four” as soon as you can.
- Complete one course in each of the four areas below.
- ORAL COMMUNICATIONS (A1):
- Black Studies 106 or Speech 103, 135 & 170.
- WRITTEN COMMUNICATION (A2):
- CRITICAL THINKING (A3):
- English 205 or Philosophy 100, 103, or 205 or Speech 160.
- MATHEMATICS/QUANTITATIVE REASONING (B4):
- Biology 200, Math 104, 107/107L, 116, 118, 119, 121, 122, 141, 150, 151, 181, 182, 183, 184, 210A, 210B, 245, 252, 254, 255 or Psychology 258.
- Complete 60 CSU-transferable semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA (2.4 for California non-residents). The GPA for admission can be significantly higher because of the major, campus, and/or applicant pool.
- Complete coursework in the major along with your general education (GE) requirements. To satisfy GE, you have two choices: IGETC or CSU GE. Talk to a counselor to determine which is the better option for you.
Please note: these are the minimum admission requirements. Each CSU campus may have additional competitive criteria for admissions. For additional information, please access http://www.assist.org for prerequisite to major requirements and the Transfer Requirements page for campus specific information.
How to transfer to Private/Independent or Out-Of-State Colleges
Transferring to private/independent or out-of-state colleges can be different than applying to a UC or a CSU. The minimum requirements for transfer vary from college to college, and from major to major.
Essentially, transferring to private/independent or out-of-state colleges requires the following:
- Complete a minimum amount of transferable units (ranges from 24 units or more).
- Complete the appropriate English and Math requirements.
- Complete general education courses.
- Complete courses for the major.
- Earn and maintain a competitive GPA.
- Apply on time.
Please note: these are the generalized admission requirements. Each individual campus typically has their own requirements for admissions. For specific campus articulation agreements and transfer information, visit the Transfer Requirements page or the individual campus website.