Academic and Student Services
How to Apply for Cal Fresh
- Select https://www.mybenefitscalwin.org/ link to begin the process. Proof of identity is necessary to be evaluated for expedited services (to receive Cal fresh within 3 days).
- You can also apply on-line through GetCalFresh.org (Application is available in English and Spanish). Submit documents right from your phone
- 2-1-1 San Diego
- Call Access at 1-(866) 262-9881 to request application forms. Access can mail an application to you. Send the completed application to the local Family Resource Center via U.S. mail or drop it off at your local Family Resource Center. The date of application is the date the application is received by the Family Resource Center. It is very important to send proof of identity to be evaluated timely should you be eligible for expedited services (receive Cal Fresh benefits within 3 days).
- San Diego Hunger Coalition Cal fresh application support: 1-(858) 863-6635
Download an application.
Print out the following document: Application for CalFresh/Snap Benefits
- Complete as much of your application as you can. Your name, address and signature are necessary to begin the application process.
- Download the Notice to CalFresh Applicants (form 09-94 HHSA / form 09-94 HHSA SP) for additional information, to help you complete the application, and to select your interview preference (in-person or telephone interview).
- Send the completed application and documents to your local Family Resource Center via U.S. mail, via fax, or drop them off at your local Family Resource Center. It is very important to send proof of identity to be evaluated timely should you be eligible for expedited services (receive CalFresh within 3 days). The date of application is the date the application is received by the Family Resource Center.
Health and Wellness
- If you have health insurance, you can go to psychologytoday.com or therapyden.com and filter by zip code and the type of insurance you have
- If you are uninsured, have MediCal, or are MediCal eligible, you may be able to visit a community clinic. To find which clinic serves your zip code and if you are eligible, call 211 or visit http://www.comresearch.org/services.php for a list of clinics (call the one in your region to confirm services and eligibility)
- If you are in crisis or having a mental health emergency, call the Access & Crisis Line at 888-724-724-7240 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255
Wi-Fi and Internet Access
Low-Cost/Free Internet Access: https://ccconlineed.instructure.com/courses/5432/pages/reduced-cost-or-free-internet-access?module_item_id=259335
Cox is offering the following over the next 60 days, through May 15:
A $19.99 offer for new Starter internet customers with a temporary boost up to 50 Mbps download speeds, no annual contract or qualifications to help low income and those impacted from Coronavirus challenges, like seniors and college students.
- Eliminating data usage overages beginning today to meet the higher bandwidth demands. Customers with a 500 GB or Unlimited data usage add-on plan will receive credits.
Pledging to support the FCC’s Keep America Connected initiatives by:
- Not terminating service to any residential or small business customer because of an inability to pay their bills due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Waiving any late fees that residential or small business customers incur because of their economic circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Opening Cox Wi-Fi outdoor hotspots to help keep the public connected in this time of need.
Cox is offering to fast-track the qualification process for Connect2Compete. Schools are being asked to contact email@example.com with a list of eligible low-income students that currently do not have an internet connection. Cox will assist in getting students qualified quickly so they can continue learning from home. Cox has also partnered with PCs for People where families can purchase discounted refurbished computers. More information can be found at this website. (https://cox.pcsrefurbished.com/sales/salesHome.aspx)
COVID-19 RESPONSE https://about.att.com/pages/COVID-19.html
March 13, 2020
AT&T is underwriting expenses for a “one-stop” resource center to support eLearning Days from the State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) available to all educators in schools to help them handle school closures and the increase in virtual learning due to COVID-19. Click here to learn more.
Comcast offering free internet to help with coronavirus impacts
The company also said it would pause data caps and plans.
https://www.internetessentials.com/ FROM COMCAST
https://www.spectrum.com/wifi-hotspots To get free Wi-Fi hotspots
More than ever before, Americans rely on high speed broadband in nearly every aspect of their lives. In the coming weeks, many will be affected either directly or indirectly by COVID-19. We're committed to serving our 29 million customers and ensuring they maintain reliable access to the online resources and information they want and need. To ease the strain in this challenging time, beginning Monday, March 16, we commit to the following for 60 days:
- We'll partner with school districts to make sure local communities are aware of these tools to help students learn remotely.
- We'll open our Wi-Fi hotspots across our footprint for public use.
- We'll continue to offer Spectrum Internet Assist, our high-speed broadband program to eligible low-income households.
We won't terminate service for residential or small business customers who face difficult economic circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic. Similarly, we won't charge late fees for those customers facing difficult economic circumstances related to the pandemic. As always, we don't have data caps or hidden fees.
Our advanced communications network will make sure our customers, including government offices and agencies, first responders, health care providers and facilities and businesses, across 41 states, maintain the connectivity they rely on.
Our network is built to sustain maximum capacity during peak usage. We'll continue to closely monitor this dynamic situation and are well prepared to continue delivering reliable connectivity. We have extensive business and workforce continuity plans in place that will be adjusted as needed to best serve all our customers and employees.