Federal & State Programs



Enrollment Fee Waiver
(Does not pay the Health Fee)

As of 2017-2018, all students interested in applying for a BOGW must submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.

The state funded Board of Governors Waiver provides funds to help low income students pay the enrollment fee. The enrollment fee is $46.00 per unit. The enrollment fee is subject to change based on California legislation. Students can only receive a BOGW during the academic year in which they apply.

You will be eligible for a BOGW if you are a California resident and any one of the following applies to your status at the time of enrollment:
•    You have already qualified for financial aid such as a Federal Pell Grant or a Cal Grant.
•    You or your family receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), or SSI (Supplemental Security Income), SSP (State Supplemental Program) or General Assistance/General Relief.
•    You meet the Department of Veterans Affairs eligibility requirement of “certain disabled veterans or the dependents of certain deceased or disabled veterans.” You will have to apply to the Department of Veteran Affairs and obtain a letter of certification.
•    You are a dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran of the California National Guard. You must submit a letter of certification by the California National Guard Adjutant General’s Office.
Additionally, you may qualify for special circumstances if you meet specific income standards. Please consult your Financial Aid Office if you are unable to fill in a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application.

You may also be considered an independent student and have you eligibility for the Board of Governor’s Waiver based on specific income standards, if:
•    You do not live with your parents, AND
•    You were not claimed as an exemption on any Federal income tax filed by your parents in 2015, AND
•    Your income is below $17,655.00
NOTE: Effective Fall 2016 semester, students who have not met the college’s Satisfactory Academic Standards for two consecutive terms will no longer qualify for a BOGW the following term. This is based on new State regulations. Academic/Lack of Progress Probation is determined two ways.
•    Lack of Progress – is determined by the number of “W”, “I”, “NP” grades, you must complete 61% of units attempted to maintain good standing.
•    Grade Point average – you must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average at all times.


Filing deadline: June 30, 2018 or your last day of classes (whichever comes first)

The Federal Pell Grant Program is the largest Federal grant program and is the foundation of your total aid “package.” Eligibility is determined by the federal government using a standard formula for all applicants. Grant amounts may range from $592to $5,920 per year. A Federal Pell Grant is awarded based on full time enrollment (12 or more units per semester). If you enroll in less than 12 units, your payment will be adjusted accordingly. Beginning on July 1st, 2012, ALL federal Pell grant recipients are subject to Pell Grant eligibility for a maximum of 12 semesters (6 years) of grant disbursed as a Full Time student. If you have a bachelor’s degree, you are not eligible for a Pell Grant.


Prior to the beginning of each semester, a portion of your Federal Pell Grant can be allocated to an account in the bookstore up to a maximum of $927, (must be a California Resident). The money in your account may be used to purchase books and supplies.
You may be able to purchase a reduced-priced bus pass as your campus Accounting Office using your Pell Grant funds as well during the time that the Bookstore Accounts open. Please check with the Financial Aid Office on your campus for eligibility information.


Deadline to apply: April 15, 2017

The Federal SEOG program is designed to assist students with the lowest family contribution (EFC) by supplementing other financial aid sources. If you have a bachelor’s degree, you are not eligible for the FSEOG.


Deadline to apply: April 15, 2017

FWS gives you the opportunity to earn part of your financial aid by working in an assigned job, either on or off campus. The salary received is at least equal to the current minimum wage, but many FWS jobs pay more than minimum wage. As you work on the job, you submit time cards for the hours worked, just as you would at a regular job. Once a month you receive a paycheck for the hours worked the previous month. Once you have earned the amount allocated in your Federal Work Study award, or you cease to be enrolled in 6 or more units at your Financial Aid campus, your job ends. Federal Work Study awards may range up to $5,000 per year.


The Chafee Grant is a federal program that is administered by the California Student Aid Commission to provide financial assistance to former Foster Youth. The applicant must be certified by the State Department of Social Services of their Foster Youth status until age 16. The grant has no citizenship requirement; however, non-citizens without a valid Social Security Number must call the CSAC for additional steps and information. The program awards a maximum of $5,000 per academic year. Renewal applicants must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the school. Former foster youth must complete a separate application at: https://www.chafee.csac.ca.gov/SupportFiles/Chafee_FosterCareEligibilityForm.pdf


This program, administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), helps low and middle income students with tuition/fee costs. Cal Grant A funds are not available until you transfer to a four year college.

New Cal Grant Applicants must have their GPA sent to CSAC by the March 2, 2016 deadline.


This program, administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), helps low income students attend college. You must be a California resident as of March 2, 2017. If you are transferring to a 4-year institution you may be considered for a special Cal Grant B. Grant amounts may be as much as $1670 per year. Award amounts may be adjusted by the California State Legislature.

New Cal Grant applicants must have their GPA sent to CSAC by the March 2, 2017 deadline.


Filing deadline for new applicants: March 2, 2017
Cal Grant C is another program administered by the California Student Aid Commission for California residents who are enrolled in a vocational program and are from a low or middle income family. You must be a California resident as of March 2, 2016. Grant amounts range up to $547. New Cal Grant applicants must have their GPA sent to CSAC by the March 2, 2017 deadline. If you have a bachelor’s degree, you are not eligible for a Cal Grant A, B, or C.
The Cal Grant Program is not available to students accepted into the Comprehensive Transitional Program C2C.


The Federal Direct Loan is a federal loan program where you borrow directly from the Federal Government. The interest rate for new loans is a fixed rate which is currently
3.76% for loans disbursed from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for the interest rates for the 2017-2018 school year. New Federal regulations require schools to disburse loans only after the signed Promissory Note has been accepted. You are required to pay the Dept. of Education loan processing fees that are currently 1.068%. The fees are deducted from the proceeds of your loan.

For new loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014, the federal government will no longer subsidize (pay) the student loan interest during the six month
grace period. The grace period is the time between when the student graduates or drops below half-time status and the time when the student must start repaying the loan. Students are encouraged to check with their Loan Servicer for any available options to assist with their loan repayment.

To qualify, a student must be enrolled in at least six units, demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients and must demonstrate financial need through the federal methodology using the FAFSA application. To apply for a Federal Direct Loan, students must complete a mandatory loan entrance counseling session. Students must contact the Financial Aid Office or visit the College website for application procedures.

You may complete the entrance counseling session on-line at: www.studentloans.gov

The Financial Aid Office will be notified when the session has successfully been completed. In addition, you must fill out a Loan Request Form from your Financial Aid Office. You must complete an on-line multi-year Master Promissory Note at: www.studentloans.gov.

You may also be required to submit an Educational Plan and be enrolled at the campus of your declared major. Please ask your Financial Aid Office for more information. The actual loan amount for which you are eligible will be determined by the Financial Aid Office. Funds will be disbursed twice per loan period.

If you are a first-time student or borrower, your check will not be disbursed until at least 30 days after the start of the semester. If you have “Late Start” classes, for loan funds to be disbursed, you must be actively attending classes in at least six units.
Congress approved a new lifetime limit on Subsidized Direct Loans for subsidized loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2013. Students will be limited to 150% of subsidized loan eligibility based on their program.

What does this lifetime limit mean for students?
The 150% change means students in a four-year program will be eligible for subsidized student loans for the equivalent of six years or three years for students in a two-year
program. The San Diego Community College District is approved as a two-year program. The student who reaches this limitation could continue to receive unsubsidized Stafford
loans if he or she is otherwise eligible (for example, has not run afoul of the school’s satisfactory academic progress requirements, or is in a group that is not eligible for an
unsubsidized loan in the San Diego Community College District). However, if a student reaches the limitation, at that point, the subsidized loans borrowed lose their “subsidized”
The Student Loan Program is not available to students accepted into the Comprehensive Transitional Program C2C.


If you are a dependent undergraduate student, your parents may borrow from the PLUS loan program. The amount borrowed may be up to the Cost of Education (page 6) minus any financial aid. Checks will be mailed to the borrowing parent. Parents must begin repayment within 60 days of receiving the full disbursement of the loan. The interest rate is a variable rate determined on June 1 for the following award year. The student must file a FAFSA and meet all other financial aid eligibility requirements, including an online application through STUDENTLOANS.GOV. Please contact your campus Financial Aid office or web page for detailed instructions.

Federal regulations require that all student loan applicants complete an entrance counseling session (see Federal Direct Loan Program) and if you cease to be enrolled in at least 6 units with the San Diego Community College District you must complete an
exit loan counseling session. It is your responsibility to notify your Financial Aid Office if you drop below 6 units during the semester. At the time of the counseling session you will be given information about your loan obligations and repayment options. You may complete the exit counseling session online at: http://www.studentloans.gov



Effective within the 2012-2013 school year, San Diego City College along with Mesa College and Miramar College has been approved by the U.S. Department of Education
to participate in an experimental initiative regarding “Overborrowing” that allows our college to reduce or eliminate Unsubsidized Loan eligibility and borrowing for
certain groups or categories of students. Based on this initiative, the following groups or categories of students will not be eligible to borrow Unsubsidized Loans:

1st Year Students
•    1st year is defined as students who have completed less than 24 units in their current program or major based on their educational plan.
•    Units that will be counted towards the 24 units will be units that fulfill the major, general education and district requirements for the current program or major based on the educational plan.
•    Units that will not be counted towards the 24 units are units that are basic skills or remedial, ESOL, electives or any other units that are not applicable to the current program or major based on the educational plan.

Students Approved on a Financial Aid Appeal
Students who have an “Unsatisfactory” status (Disqualified) for any reason and who are approved on appeal will not be eligible for an Unsubsidized Loan.

The above Information is subject to change as required by new Federal, State or institutional policies and regulations.

Related Campus Resource