Campus plans for gathering evidence of student learning might include institution-wide or program/ service area specific approaches that convey how student learning is assessed, the data collection tools and approaches that will be used, and the timeline for implementation.
Institutional Learning Outcomes Assessment Plans
To address student learning in a meaningful way, Miramar has developed a comprehensive set of Institutional Student Learning Outcomes (ISLOs) that include:
- ISLO 1: Knowledge of Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World
- ISLO 2: Intellectual and Practical Skills
- ISLO 3: Personal and Social Responsibility
- ISLO 4: Integrative and Applied Learning
To evaluate effectiveness of the College in promoting and successfully leading students to these outcomes, Miramar has undergone several cycles of assessment, which have included SLO mapping, surveys and/or direct measurements of student learning. Summaries of these processes can be found below:
- Pre-2014: Miramar used a 5 ISLO system for measurement of Institutional SLOs. Assessment of these ISLOs was done using mapping data that was provided during Program Review. As the College worked towards Continuous Quality Improvement in 2013, the ISLOs were modified to align with the AAC&U’s LEAP Essential Learning Outcomes and to better include the important services in non-instructional areas.
- 2014-2015 ISLO Assessment Plans: In continuation with past practices, instructional programs and service areas aligned their SLOs with the Institutional SLOs in Taskstream, using the “Mapping” function. This allowed the College to get an overview of how the ISLOs are supported by program and service area SLOs. With the adoption of the ISLOs stated above, the College also created an assessment tool to supplement the available SLO mapping data. The Fall 2014 Miramar Institutional Student Learning Outcomes Survey was developed and distributed to students in Fall 2014 using a random sampling methodology. The survey was designed to disaggregate student responses by separating them into cohorts based on number of units currently taken at Miramar, total number of units taken at Miramar, and educational goal. Survey questions were developed to measure students’ perception in the following ISLO competencies: Communication; Critical Thinking and Problem Solving; Intercultural Knowledge and Competence; Information Literacy; and Personal and Social Abilities.
- 2015- 2018 ISLO Assessment Plans: The results of the 2014- 2015 Assessment Cycle were discussed in the Instructional Program Review/ SLO committee and college-wide in the Planning and Institutional Effectiveness Committee (PIEC). Based on this dialogue, the ISLO Survey was modified to include a more comprehensive set of ISLO questions and to create a direct measurement of learning for on ISLO 2: Intellectual and Practical Skills, specifically Critical Thinking. The Spring 2017 Miramar Institutional Student Learning Outcomes Survey includes application questions on critical thinking and is planned for implementation in Spring 2017.
Instructional Program and Course Student Learning Outcomes
Individual programs and courses develop student learning outcome assessment plans by a faculty-driven collaborative process and in alignment with the Program Review three-year cycle. Assessment plans include the methods for measuring student learning, details on the measurement method, targets for achievement, and a link (i.e. map) to the ISLOs. The below plans were downloaded from Taskstream for the last completed assessment cycle (i.e. 2015- 2018):
- Program SLO Assessment
- Course SLO Assessment Plans
Non-Instructional Student Learning and Service Unit Outcomes Assessment Plans
For non-instructional areas, faculty and staff use a similar model of assessing Student Service, Instructional Support Service, or Administrative Service Outcomes, to determine if the goals of those departments/ areas in supporting student success are being achieved. Most service areas follow a three-year cycle to correspond with the Program Review process. The below plans were downloaded from Taskstream for the last completed assessment cycle (i.e. 2015- 2018):
- Student Services Outcomes Assessment Plans
- Instructional Support Services Outcomes Assessment Plans
- Administrative Services Outcomes Assessment Plans