The Classified Senate at Miramar College represents all the classified employees at San Diego Miramar College. Some of the Senate's responsibilities include:
- Representing the issues and concerns of classified employees in all aspects of governance and decision making on matters that are not related to collective bargaining and contract negotiations.
- Making informed decisions, collecting and sharing information of interest, and representing the classified staff in all matters before any policymaking committee or the governing body within the democratic processes of Miramar College and the San Diego Community College District.
- Encouraging unity, friendship, support, individual leadership, contribution, development, professional growth, among the classified employees
Goals & Issues
The College Governance Committee will monitor, facilitate and, whenever necessary, evaluate the operation of the governance plan as outlined in this Handbook. The Committee will be responsible for the following:
- Review governance issues for the campus and make recommendations if more than one committee should review an issue.
- Interpret Title V as it applies to faculty, staff, and students.
- Review and make recommendations regarding changes to the model as outlined in this Handbook.
- Review and make recommendations regarding changes to this Handbook.
- Provide an annual evaluation of the governance structure and its operating effectiveness.
Procedures & Calendar
The Classified Senate meets every 1st & 3rd Wednesday of the month in the President's Conference Room (PCR) in the administration building at 11:00 AM. Ideally we would like to have at least one senator from the different areas around the campus. The senator can inform the senate of new staff, or events in their different areas they represent. They can also bring information from the senate back to their areas.
The Classified Senate is dedicated to representing the Classified Staff of Miramar College on many shared governance committees. Below is a list of the representatives and the committees they serve on.
- Academic Senate
- Budget (District & Mesa)
- Information Technology (District)
- Planning Committee
- President Cabinet
- Program Review
- Classified Staff Development
- Student Services
- Strategic Planning
If you are interested in serving on a committee, or know of a committee that needs classified representation please contact Sam Shooshtary.