Location and Hours:
Academic Senate President and Executive Committee:
|Past President||Daphne Figueroa||619-388-7631|
|Executive Committee Member (Elected)||Joan L. Thompson||619-388-7544|
|Executive Committee Member (Elected)||Frederica Carr|
|Executive Committee Member (Appointed)||Dan Igou||619-388-7646|
|Executive Committee Member (Appointed)||Mark Hertica||619-388-7696|
Excerpted from the Constitution and Bylaws of the Academic Senate of Miramar College:
- All contract faculty are members of the Academic Senate. Any contract faculty member may attend and/or address the regular Academic Senate meeting. However, only Senators may vote on questions before the body.
- All adjunct faculty are members of the Academic Senate. Any adjunct faculty member may attend and/or address the regular Academic Senate meeting. However, only Senators may vote on questions before the body.
- The following advisors shall be selected as defined in the Bylaws:
- One student representative, in an advisory capacity, will be recognized by this Senate.
- One classified staff representative, in an advisory capacity, will be recognized by this Senate.
- One administrative representative, in an advisory capacity, will be recognized by this Senate.
- Voting members of the Academic Senate are Senators.
- Departments shall elect one Senator for each four contract faculty members. The term of office of these Senators will be for one year, starting in the fall semester of the school year and concluding the day before the beginning of the next fall semester.
- All members of the Executive Committee of this Senate are "Senators".
- The adjunct faculty of Miramar College shall elect six (6) of their peers as "Senators".
- When a regular Senator cannot attend a scheduled meeting of the Academic Senate, that Senator should forward a written proxy with a substitute. The written proxy shall be handed to the presiding officer before the meeting commences.
- Any Senator that misses three regularly scheduled Senate meetings, without a proper substitute (proxy), shall be voided as a Senator. The election for that office shall take place as soon as reasonably possible and that Senator cannot again become a Senator until the next academic year. A Senator who has been voided may petition to the Executive Committee for reinstatement. This petition must be submitted in writing within 7 working days of the official notification of being voided.
Role of the Academic Senate
SECTION 53200 DEFINITIONS
Academic Senate means an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters.
Academic and Professional matters means the following policy development and implementation matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes fog institutional planning and budget development.
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
Consult Collegially means that the district governing board shall develop policies on academic and professional matters through either or both of the following:
- Rely primarily upon the advice and judgment of the academic senate, OR
- The governing board, or its designees, and the academic senate shall reach mutual agreement by written resolution, regulation, or policy of the governing board effectuating such recommendations.
The Academic Senate and Senate Executive Committee will each meet no less than once per month at a regularly scheduled time. Academic Senate meetings are open to the public and agendas will be available 72 hours prior to each scheduled meeting, as per the Brown Act.
|Jan 28 (Tuesday)||Exec Committee||3:30p–5:00p||L-107|
|Feb 04 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|Feb 18 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|Feb 25 (Tuesday)||Exec Committee||3:30p–5:00p||L-107|
|March 04 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|March 18 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|March 25 (Tuesday)||Exec Committee||3:30p–5:00p||L-107|
|April 08 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|April 22 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|April 29 (Tuesday)||Exec Committee||3:30p–5:00p||L-107|
|May 06 (Tuesday)||Senate Meeting||3:30p–5:00p||L-309|
|May 20 (Tuesday)||Exec Committee||3:00p–5:00p||TBD|
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas and minutes from the past three years are displayed. For agendas and/or minutes of earlier meetings, click the link below.