Military Outreach Programs and Services for Active Duty Military and Family Members
San Diego Miramar College offers a variety of general education courses aboard Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (MCAS). These courses are open to military personnel, their families, and all Miramar College students.
Benefits of Taking On-Base Courses:
- Courses are offered in 8-week sessions five times a year
- Convenient hours and class location
- Courses fulfill general education requirements
- All classes are transferable to 4-year colleges and universities
- ACE recommended credit from your military service schools may be applied towards the 60 units required for an Associate Degree.
- Assists in preparing for a career change
- Enhances opportunity for promotion
- Your best value at $46.00 a unit
Getting on Base:
All non-affiliated civilians must undergo a background check in order for the Government to grant you clearance and authority to enter the base and attend your class. The background check will be conducted by the military.
***If you do not possess a United States Government Common Access Card (CAC) or Department of Defense Form 1173 Identification and Privilege Card, you must follow these steps to receive a temporary base pass***
STEP 1 - Complete a DBIDS application: In order to start the process, you will need to go to the website below and fill out the application for base access
The application will include 5 sections as listed below:
1. Person - Name, Date of Birth, citizenship, SSN, etc.
2. Demographic - Gender, ethnicity, hair color, eye color, etc.
3. Address & Contact Information - Phone number, email address, etc.
4. Sponsors' Information - You will need to input the following information in this section:
- Sponsor name: Education Center
- Sponsor email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sponsor phone number: 858-577-1801
Comments (Purpose of visit): In the comments section you must include: Class title & subject, class meeting days & times, class start & end dates. You cannot enter more than 120 characters in the "Comment" box. Below is a format you can utilize to keep you under this character limitation - You can copy & paste the message below and make changes as they pertain to your specific class:
"MiramarStudent; COM103-OralComs Education Center(HUB) Tues&Thurs 5-8:10pm Mon 10/15 to Sat 12/17"
5. Finished - This page lets you know the application has been completed. You will need to print the last page with the confirmation code and QR code and bring it with you to your appointment.
STEP 2 - Once you complete the DBIDS application you will need to make an appointment with the Pass & ID office. To set up an appointment, you will need to:
1. Email the Pass & ID office at email@example.com requesting a "DBIDS Contractor Badge Appointment"
2. The DBIDS application confirmation code will need to be included in the email
3. You will receive an email back with your appointment date and time
4. Bring the following to your appointment (You must have two forms of ID at the time of your appointment to receive a badge)
- Valid State or Federally issued photo ID
- Valid Vehicle Registration
- Proof of vehicle insurance with expiration date displayed
- Resident Alien Card (if non-US citizen)
- Work authorization card (if non-US citizen)
- U.S. passport
- Printed confirmation page
The Pass & ID office is located at the East gate (Building 6200) off of Miramar Way, I15. They can be reached at 858-577-1463.
Here are some tips to keep in mind that will help ensure a positive experience with the process:
- Make sure to fill out all of the information on the DBIDS application. Do not leave anything blank.
- Complete the application and make an appointment as soon as possible. Not receiving a base pass will result in denied access to the base.
- Keep a copy of your confirmation page and do not forget to bring the confirmation page to your appointment.
To ensure that you receive a base pass in a timely manner and that your clearance is established, you must complete the process at least 3 weeks prior to class or you will not be permitted to attend class.
If you have any questions, please contact the Dean's Office at 619-388-7873 or our base office at 858-536-4329
MCAS On-Base Location
|The Hub (Bldg 5305)||(858) 536-4329|
MCAS On-Base Services
Our on-base office is here to assist with:
- Financial Aid Information
- English & Math Assessment Testing
- Joint Services Transcript (JST) formerly SMART
- Tuition Assistance Forms
(Bldg. 5305), The HUB - Room 155. Contact us for more information.
MCAS On-Base Resources
- Military Academic Skills Program (MASP): MASP is designed to help Military personnel and their family members enhance their English & Math skills. This FREE, two-week program helps students build a solid academic foundation, prepare for exams, improve English and Math knowledge and more! MASP is held in The Hub, building 5305. Registration through the on-base Education Center is required. For more information please contact our base office at 858-536-4329
- FAFSA Workshops: The on-base Education Center offers a FAFSA workshop every Monday at 1130. This workshop is available to Military Personnel and their families in The Hub (building 5305). No registration required.
- GI BILL Brief: This brief is facilitated by VA representatives and covers information on your VA educational benefits. Available to Military Personnel and their families every other Thursday at 1130 in The Hub. No registration required.
Easy as 1-2-3
- 1. Apply - Complete a college application in person at The Hub (building 5305) or online at http://www.sdccd.edu
- 2. Transcripts - Request all prior college transcripts, including your Joint Services Transcript (JST)
- 3. On-base Counseling - Meet with a counselor for an education plan, course advisement, and preparation for transfer. No appointments needed. Please see below for counseling days and times. These are subject to change:
DAYS HOURS Monday 1100 - 1700 Tuesday 1100 - 1400 Wednesday 1100 - 1500
- 4. Assessments - English & Math assessments are available on-base by appointment only. Schedule an appointment in person or call our base office at 858-536-4329
- 5. Attend Classes On-Base, On Campus, or Online! Below is our Fall 2018 on-base class schedule:
AUGUST 20 - OCTOBER 13 CRN COURSE TITLE DAY TIME 86196 ENGL 101 READING & COMPOSITION MW 1700 - 2015 00650 HIST109 HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES I MW 1700 - 2015 03783 PHIL 102B INTRO TO PHILOSOPHY: VALUES MW 1700 - 2015 87869 SOCO 101 PRINCIPLES OF SOCIOLOGY TTH 1700 - 2010 OCTOBER 15 - DECEMBER 17 CRN COURSE TITLE DAY TIME 97312 COMS 103 ORAL COMMUNICATION TTH 1700 - 2010 92831 ENGL 205 CRITICAL THINKING / INTER COMP. MW 1700 - 2010 89667 HIST 110 HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES II MW 1700 - 2010 83790 PSYC 101 GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY TTH 1700 - 2010
Advanced registration is advised. Courses are open to the general public. Contact your college representative for additional information at the following location:
Phone: (858) 536-4329
Students and faculty, who do not have a Military/DOD ID card, need to access MCAS Miramar base from the East Gate. The East Gate is located off Interstate 15 at Miramar Way.
Upon arrival at the East Gate, you will be directed to Pass & ID, where you will be issued a pass for the duration of your class. You will be required to present the following documents:
- Valid driver license
- Current vehicle registration (must be in your name or a notarized letter authorizing you to drive the vehicle)
- Vehicle insurance with verification of coverage dates
- Reg-e enrollment confirmation