Military Outreach Programs and Services for Active Duty Military and Family Members
San Diego Miramar College offers a variety of general education courses aboard Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (MCAS). These courses are open to military personnel, their families, and all Miramar College students.
Benefits of Taking On-Base Courses:
- Courses are offered in 8-week sessions five times a year
- Convenient hours and class location
- Courses fulfill general education requirements
- All classes are transferable to 4-year colleges and universities
- ACE recommended credit from your military service schools may be applied towards the 60 units required for an Associate Degree.
- Assists in preparing for a career change
- Enhances opportunity for promotion
- Your best value at $46.00 a unit
Getting on Base:
All non-affiliated civilians must undergo a background check in order for the Government to grant clearance and authority to enter the base and attend class. The background check will be conducted by the military.
If you do not possess a United States Government Common Access Card (CAC) or Department of Defense Form 1173 Identification and Privilege Card, you must provide a state-issued identification card or passport and submit to a background investigation by the Miramar Provost Marshal's Office to attend classes at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (MCAS). You will need to complete a Background Check and Installation Access Application form, which can be obtained from Student Web Services under Key Resources at http://studentweb.sdccd.edu.
Thank you for your cooperation as we try to meet the requirements for non-affiliated civilians requesting access to military installations. If you have any questions, please contact the Dean's Office at 619-388-7873 or our base office at 858-536-4329
MCAS On-Base Representative
|Nathaly Arvizu||Student Services Technician||The Hub (Bldg 5305)||(858) 536-4329|
MCAS On-Base Services
Our on-base office is here to assist with:
- Financial Aid Information
- English & Math Assessment Testing
- Joint Services Transcript (JST) formerly SMART
- Tuition Assistance Forms
(Bldg. 5305), The HUB - Room 155. Contact us for more information.
MCAS On-Base Resources
- Military Academic Skills Program (MASP): MASP is designed to help Military personnel and their family members enhance their English & Math skills. This FREE, two-week program helps students build a solid academic foundation, prepare for exams, improve English and Math knowledge and more! MASP is held in The Hub, building 5305. Registration through the on-base Education Center is required. For more information please contact our base office at 858-536-4329
- FAFSA Workshops: The on-base Education Center offers a FAFSA workshop every Monday at 1130. This workshop is available to Military Personnel and their families in The Hub (building 5305). No registration required.
- GI BILL Brief: This brief is facilitated by VA representatives and covers information on your VA educational benefits. Available to Military Personnel and their families every other Thursday at 1130 in The Hub. No registration required.
Easy as 1-2-3
- 1. Apply - Complete a college application in person at The Hub (building 5305) or online at http://www.sdccd.edu
- 2. Transcripts - Request all prior college transcripts, including your Joint Services Transcript (JST)
- 3. On-base Counseling - Meet with a counselor for an education plan, course advisement, and preparation for transfer. No appointments needed. Please see below for counseling days and times. These are subject to change:
DAYS HOURS Monday 1200 - 1700 Tuesday 1100 - 1500 Wednesday 1200 - 1700 Thursday 1100 - 1500
- 4. Assessments - English & Math assessments are available on-base by appointment only. Schedule an appointment in person or call our base office at 858-536-4329
- 5. Attend Classes On-Base, On Campus, or Online! Below is our Spring 2018 on-base class schedule:
JANUARY 29 - MARCH 24, 2018 CRN COURSE TITLE DAY TIME 06691 BUSE 100 INTRO TO BUSINESS MW 1700 - 2020 92429 ENGL 101 READING & COMP MW 1700 - 2020 08826 HUM 101 INTRO TO HUMANITIES I MW 1700 - 2010 07494 ADJU 101 INTRO TO ADMIN. OF JUSTICE TTH 1700 - 2020 05461 SOCO 101 PRINCIPLES OF SOCIOLOGY TTH 1700 - 2010 45936 COMS103 ORAL COMMUNICATION TTH 1700 - 2010
APRIL 2 - MAY 26, 2018 CRN COURSE TITLE DAY TIME 07506 ADJU 102 CRIMINAL LAW I MW 1700 - 2010 06702 BUSE 119 BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS MW 1700 - 2010 90650 ENGL 205 CRITICAL THINKING/INTER COMP MW 1700 - 2010 71168 POLI 102 THE AMERICAN POLI. SYSTEM TTH 1700 - 2010 05959 HUM 102 INTRO TO HUMANITIES II TTH 1700 - 2010
Advanced registration is advised. Courses are open to the general public. Contact your college representative for additional information at the following location:
Phone: (858) 536-4329
Students and faculty, who do not have a Military/DOD ID card, need to access MCAS Miramar base from the East Gate. The East Gate is located off Interstate 15 at Miramar Way.
Upon arrival at the East Gate, you will be directed to Pass & ID, where you will be issued a pass for the duration of your class. You will be required to present the following documents:
- Valid driver license
- Current vehicle registration (must be in your name or a notarized letter authorizing you to drive the vehicle)
- Vehicle insurance with verification of coverage dates
- Reg-e enrollment confirmation