Food Security Programs
San Diego Miramar College has a variety of resources to assist those facing Food Insecurity.
San Diego Miramar College has been very active in addressing the food insecurity issues of it's students. Over the past year, year, the Office of Student Affairs along with the student group REACT, has lead the way in developing programs that directly provide nutritious meals to students as well as assisting students in identifying resources to nutritious food. Resources to support these endeavors are made possible by a grant from the California Community College Chancellor's Office, Feeding San Diego, San Diego Food Bank and donations from the Miramar College Community.
Currently we offer a variety of programs to address a variety of food insecurity needs.
The Jet Fuel Pantry
The Jet Fuel Pantry is currently located in J building next to the pool. The pantry houses canned goods, drinks, toiletries and other items. Visitors to the Pantry must have a San Diego Miramar ID and sign in prior to using the pantry. Visitors may use the pantry once a day, Monday - Friday and take (3) three food items, (3) three toiletry or school supply items, and (1) one clothing item.
Since the Pantry is subsidized by a grant from the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office only Miramar students are permitted to use this resource.
Hours of Operation - the Pantry is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - Noon.
(Due to the current size of the pantry, we are not able to maintain a huge inventory so hours may vary due to the availability of supplies.)
The Really Really Free Farmers Market
The Really Really Free Farmer’s Market is a free farmer's market held on the 2nd Wednesday of every month. In partnership with Feeding San Diego, five pallets of fresh produce are delivered to campus. Faculty, staff and student volunteers begin distributing the produce at 9:30 am and continue until it is gone (approximately 11:00 am). The Really Really Free Farmer’s Market is open to the entire MIramar Community and takes place in front of the Student Services Building (K1).
Retail Rescue at the Jet Fuel Pantry
On Monday and Tuesday mornings, the Jet Fuel Pantry benefits from Feeding San Diego’s Retail Rescue program. Thanks to our local “Sprouts” and “Smart and Final” stores, the pantry receives high quality fresh produce and other items which may have otherwise ended up being thrown away. These items are set up outside of the Pantry (J building) on tables for distribution to students and other members of the community. The variety and quantity of items varies from week to week. Distribution begins approximately at 10:00 am and runs until the items are gone.
CalFresh is a nutrition assistance program that helps income-eligible households to buy the food they need to stay healthy. Benefits are given in EBT cards, similiar to ATM cards, and can be used in most grocery stores. Anyone who is a citizen, legal permanent resident, or visa hold can apply as long as income guildelines are met. Representatives from the The Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank attend the monthly Farmer's Market (2nd Wednesday of every month) to assist anyone who might be interested in applying. Representatives will discuss program eligbility, the application process and necessary documentation with all who are interested.
For more information you may either stop by the EOPS Office located in K1-305 or Call the San Diego Food Bank at 1-866-350-3663 or go to their website. You can also go directly to the CalFresh website for information regarding this program.
As a community we understand that in order for thrive as a student it is necessary to have access to nutritious food and other basic needs, please feel free to contact the Office of Student Affairs at 619-388-7313 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Get Updates from JET FUEL!
To receive important upates:
Text the message @miramarfp to the number 81010.
If you're having trouble with 81010, try texting @miramarfp to (754-217-2436)
*standard text message rates apply
- After you send the text to join, you will receive a response that asks you to reply with your first and last name.
- You will receive a text back that indicates you have joined Jet Fuel: Miramar College Emergency Food Pantry list.
- There will be a link to get the Remind app. This is optional.
- If you click on it, you will be sent to the app store where you can install the app for free.
- Once installed, open the app. The first time you open the app, you will be asked to enter your email address.
- Next you will create a password.
- When asked, select “I AM A STUDENT” (not “I am a parent or teacher”).
- It will ask if you signed up via text, click yes. You will then link your phone number to import your classes (your “class” is Miramar College Emergency Food Pantry). Click “link my phone.”
- It will ask you to enter your name, this is how it will appear to the Coordinator of the Food Pantry
- To receive updates via email only, go to rmd.at/miramarfp to sign up for email notifications.
- You can opt out of messages at any time by replying, unsubscribe @miramarfp