You are hereAcademics > Chemistry Program at Miramar College
Chemistry Program at Miramar College
The Chemistry Program fosters an understanding of the fundamental principles of chemistry in a variety of applications: medicine, health-care products, energy, food production, body metabolism, structural materials, microelectronics, and the environment. Students learn how chemical knowledge is derived, theorized, and applied in solving problems in everyday life. Students perform experiments in a modern chemistry laboratory under the guidance of experienced faculty.
Program Goals and/or Outcomes
The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students who wish to pursue a major in fields such as: (1) chemistry, biology, marine science, geology, physics, medicine, engineering, or technology; (2) paramedical or allied health science, including nursing, physical therapy, or nutrition; or (3) liberal arts. Courses will also meet general education requirements for both the two and four-year institutions.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program the students will able to:
- Name and draw structures for inorganic and organic compounds;
- Classify inorganic and organic reactions;
- Determine the products of inorganic and organic reactions;
- Match various inorganic and organic reactions with the appropriate chemical processes.
- Successfully perform experiments involving chemical equipment, measurement, and data collection.